3.16.2023

A true story

A very close friend of my father belonged to the very top echelon of his profession. This has led him to work all over the world. A consequence of this is that he has several foreign pension insurances.

Most are paid regularly every month while a few are one-time payments. When one of these one-time payments came on a payout notice, my father's friend had to go to the bank and ask them to credit his bank account with the amount.

The bank clerk who received the assignment with my father's friend payment must have had a complete brain meltdown when he had to recalculate the amount from EUR to SEK. Somehow he managed to add 3 zeros to the amount stated in €, which meant that my father's friend got roughly $4.3 million deposited into his account instead of roughly $4000.

My father's friend who is honesty himself called the bank the same day he discovered the error and brought it to the bank's attention. In the best of worlds, the bank would have corrected the error and apologized to my father's friend.

Instead, another bank employee reported the unusually large payment to the Finance Inspectorate. It ended with my father's friend being summoned for questioning at the Finance Inspectorate on suspicion of money laundering. Naturally, my father's friend was acquitted of all charges. He changed banks soon after.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This will come back to bite the unions, part 16

For transparency and my own agenda, my husband and I own a 2023 Tesla Model Y. The power struggle between the union IF Metall and Tesla Mot...