1.11.2024

Life with teenagers

Because there's more to be desired when it comes to the world's (perhaps not) most perfect teenager's school grades, he's had to do maths exercises every day, except for Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, throughout his Christmas break.

The first day of school after the Christmas holidays was Tuesday and "luckily" mathematics was on the schedule. When we got home in the evening after Tuesday's work, I asked if the offspring had done the math exercises we agreed on. I got a no followed by a long explanation that his math teacher would be explaining logarithms starting Thursday this week.

Since I KNOW Junior is as smart as he is lazy, I decided he and I would look through the chapter and get an idea of what it was all about. The teenager immediately protested, saying that he doesn't understand and really doesn't want to learn how to solve the math problems the wrong way.

After about 1 hour of arguing and bickering, we got started. Another 1 hour later we began to understand how to solve the different logarithms. In the end, we had solved the problems together.

Today his first lesson is math. If I'm greeted with a hug and an immediately closed door to the teenager's room tonight when I get home from work, I've done a good job. Otherwise I'll be met by an angry young Master Dewlar who will explain in his "best" way how we've got everything about logarithms wrong.

Having a typical defiant 16 year old constantly argue with me while trying to learn how to solve logarithms in a language other than my native language at almost 54 was a near death experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I take my hat off to Ms. Taylor Swift

This week, the talk of the town in Sweden has been Ms. Taylor Swift when it comes to finances. Ms. Taylor Swift gives 3 concerts in Solna ci...