1.14.2024

Remote work

For full transparency, I work partially from home.

When I make or receive a phone call, I make sure that no background sounds such as a spouse, a child or a pet can be heard. I do this because I myself loathe when I contact a manufacturer, wholesaler, customer service etc and you can hear children screaming or dogs barking in the background.

Working remotely became the norm for obvious reasons during Covid-19. I fully understand that employees wanted to continue afterwards. Being able to shorten the travel time to and from work to under one minute, start the washing machine or dishwasher, walk the dog and more was of course incredibly time-saving.

But there are also negative consequences of remote work. In addition to the fact that the actual response time when calling some companies that still practice remote work has become longer, I feel that their skills and knowledge have decreased.

I experience that companies that have their employees gathered in an office have a faster flow of information as experience feedback takes place in real time as the employees overhear both possible problems but also solutions when they move around the company's premises. I also feel that these employees feel more like part of the company they work for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I take my hat off to Ms. Taylor Swift

This week, the talk of the town in Sweden has been Ms. Taylor Swift when it comes to finances. Ms. Taylor Swift gives 3 concerts in Solna ci...