11.19.2023

I could be in deep water here, part 2

Since I live and work in Sweden, my assumptions are based on Western laws and values. In my opinion, Newton's cradle can also be applied to school.

When my parents went to school, it was allowed to punish naughty children. My father, for example, was hit on the fingers by his teachers with the ruler.

It was not until 1958 that punishment was banned in Swedish schools, and in 1979 Sweden was the first Nordic country to completely ban child punishment.

When I was in school, mainly throughout the 80's, teachers was allowed to tell students who were disruptive to leave the classroom. In addition, to avoid the disruption of classes by late students, the teachers could lock the doors, making one absent from these classes.

Today, the ball has swung so far to the other side that teachers do not have the right to exclude students from lessons when they are disruptive or late as their rights to education outweigh.

The consequence of this is clearly visible in society as there are too many children who, after finishing primary school, can neither read nor count. Hopefully the ball is heading back towards the middle.

I consider myself to have gone to school when the ball was in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I take my hat off to Ms. Taylor Swift

This week, the talk of the town in Sweden has been Ms. Taylor Swift when it comes to finances. Ms. Taylor Swift gives 3 concerts in Solna ci...