11.08.2023

You don't choose your family

I love my parents, deeply and sincerely. However, that doesn't stop me from sometimes feeling a great deal of frustration towards them.

For 20 years I worked for my father who had a large construction company. One of my younger sisters also worked there at the same time. I worked in finance and she in HR.

During all these years we had exactly the same monthly salary even though she worked 50% less than me. For the first 15 years this did not bother me. While working for my dad, I did the bookkeeping for my sister's husband's company for free all these years.

All this changed when I became a mom. That I would miss time with my son because I was doing pro bono work for my sister's husband's company didn't feel good. It took me 5 years before I decided to leave my employment at my dad's company.

During these 20 years, I worked at the same time with our own company, so my free time was non-existent.

At the same time that I ended my employment with my father's company, I ended my commitment with my sister's husband's company. During the 20 years that I handled all their accounting including annual reports and declarations, I didn't even get a flower as a thank you.

Instead of being grateful for all the work I did for them over 20 years, my sister got mad at me and started speaking ill of me to our other sister. So for the last 10 years my contact with my sisters has been a bit strained.

In connection with my mother becoming ill a number of years ago, my father wound up his construction company and became a consultant instead. I have taken care of all his bookkeeping since then, free of charge. Today my mother is healthy and stronger than ever.

The only times he visits me is when he hands over documents, invoices, etc. that he received in paper format and not electronically. This behavior sometimes makes me feel like Cinderella.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I take my hat off to Ms. Taylor Swift

This week, the talk of the town in Sweden has been Ms. Taylor Swift when it comes to finances. Ms. Taylor Swift gives 3 concerts in Solna ci...