2.25.2024

Yesterday was bad

After work yesterday, I went to visit my uncle at the nursing home. It was very emotional. My uncle was very sad and above all scared. He was crying and didn't understand why he was where he was. All he wanted was to get home.

His fear is mainly due to the fact that he does not recognize his surroundings and fears that he will not be allowed to return home. The worst thing is that we will move him once more.

Unfortunately he was not accommodated in the nursing home which is literally located 1,640 feet (500 meters) from my parents home. This specific nursing home was built between 1902-1915 and is a stunningly beautiful building beautifully situated next to the water.

The nursing home he lives in right now is a former apartment building in the middle of a residential area. It's just storage, not a home. In the best of worlds, my uncle has been given a place in the nursing home next to my parents home and we have had time to move him there before mum and dad come back from their holiday. That way they don't become "the bad guys" in my uncle's eyes.

In 2023, the home care staff had to call an ambulance on 13 occasions when they found my uncle unconscious for various reasons. It was everything from severe epileptic seizures, falls and transient ischemic attack (TIA). These 13 occasions resulted in him having to spend 1-2 weeks in hospital after each time. So even though I understand that what we are doing is right, it feels terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hopefully easier times await

However I calculate, there is nothing to cushion the blow, but I have to bite the bullet and accept that the outcome for June 2024 will be l...