10.05.2024

My dad and technology are not a match made in heaven

Yesterday I upgraded my X account (formerly Twitter) to premium just to access Gork. The world's most perfect husband and I have realized that we need to learn AI before it's too late. The older you get, the harder it is to learn things. We recognize that the sooner we sit down and try to understand AI while it is still in its infancy, the better for us. My dad, who has had a hard time with technology all his life, also wants to learn AI, but since I don't understand or master AI myself, I turned my dad down for the first time ever.

My husband and I support and help him with both stock investments as well as IT support 24 hours a day, every day of the year. My dad's computer skills are so low that I have to use FaceTime to help him attach a file to an email. He never seems to learn since this has been going on for the last 20 years. The time before the smart phone came was easier because then I only needed to be available when he was sitting at his desktop computer in the office.

He and my mom just bought new cell phones, iPhone 16 Pro. I've been very clear that if they want to be able to get help from me when it comes to smart phones, they can't buy anything other than Apple because I'm completely ignorant when it comes to Android.

My mom's tech skills are a notch better than his so she helped him boot up the new phone and sign him into his Apple account. Unfortunately, her technical skills didn't take them any further than that. They had to make a trip to the bank to get the bank ID installed, to Tesla to access all the features of the app, to us to activate all the bank cards in the wallet and to log into their accounts on Seeking Alpha and finally to create a home screen with widgets where they can see the exchange rate between SEK and USD.

When Dad wanted to start the car, he had to use the Tesla card because the app didn't work. He was very angry when he called me and complained that the card was not working. I asked a little cautiously if he had the right card, whereupon the phone went completely silent.

He had taken his black Revolut card by mistake instead of the black Tesla card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweden's central bank will most likely disappoint

The Swedish inflation rate according to CPIF (Consumer Price Index with fixed interest rate) was 1.1% in September, which is a decrease from...