4.28.2024

The feeling of unease is constant, only the product changes

As a youngster, there were certain things I was never comfortable putting on the checkout belt, like menstrual pads and birth control. For many years I did everything I could to avoid shopping for these things during the busy times. Yesterday afternoon me and the world's most perfect husband visited a grocery store that we don't usually shop at.

We have the world's most perfect neighbor who is the same age as our parents. We have lived in the same condo building for 14 years and he has always spoken highly of this store and always shops there even though it is further away than the much bigger and more modern stores.

I am childishly fond of punch pralines and my husband equally fond of chocolate-dipped foam bananas. Every time we go into a grocery store, we look for these candy bags. These candy bags were popular when we were kids, which is literally half a century ago. When I put the candy bags on the checkout belt, I got the same feeling of awkwardness.

Obviously there will always be things I'm not comfortable shopping. I wonder what will be next, prunes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It gets harder before it gets easier

I sincerely hope that the world's most perfect teenager passed his Spanish test yesterday and gets the first diploma of his life. Hopef...