7.21.2024

I am on call 24/7

My dad called last night at 9:20 p.m. and was frustrated. According to him, his fictitious portfolio on Seeking Alpha that I created for him the other day was completely gone. Luckily, he and mom were in their summer house, which is 90 minutes by car outside of Stockholm, otherwise he would not have called but stood outside our front door instead.

Since my dad's IT skills are completely non-existent, I solved the problem by hanging up and calling my mom on FaceTime instead. With mom's phone pointed at dad's screen, I could easily guide dad to his portfolio. The problem was that when he opened the app it was the page "Ideas" that appeared instead of "Portfolio" and my dad immediately assumed that his portfolio was gone. It doesn't matter how many times I've shown him how he might need to switch pages in the app. It's like it only goes in one ear and out the other.

So while the technology, video calling, enables me to help him, it is the same technology, apps, that creates these problems for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did we end up here?

Our shop is located on one of Stockholm's avenues, where the driving lanes are separated by trees and grass. Last week it rained non-sto...