3.23.2024

The change came stealthily

In Sweden, we have a problem with robbers breaking into homes when people are at home. The robbers steal work clothes from various delivery and transport companies. A robber stands in front of the door with a package clearly visible while the robber's accomplices hide out of sight. As soon as the door opens, everyone rushes forward and squeezes into the home.

Therefore, the world's most perfect teenager is forbidden to open the door if someone rings the bell. Early Thursday morning we were woken up by the doorbell ringing. My husband is not easy to wake up so I got out of bed and looked in the peephole. I saw a lone woman in uniform standing outside our front door. I had a scare and hesitated for what felt like an eternity but in reality was only a second or two at most. Then I did the exact opposite of what we've taught Junior and opened the door. It turned out that the woman was a security guard from our alarm company.

Because I was visibly nervous when I opened the front door, the security guard at first suspected that she had arrived at a robbery in progress. First I had to identify myself, then she looked through every space in our entire home. It was the detector in our hall that had broken and sent a tamper alarm. The offspring and my husband fell asleep right after while I lay awake for about an hour before falling back asleep.

It is absolutely incredible how Sweden has changed. When I was a child, our front door was always unlocked when we were home, day or night. Nowadays the front door is always locked, our perimeter protection is always activated at night and you worry when the doorbell rings when you are not expecting visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I take my hat off to Ms. Taylor Swift

This week, the talk of the town in Sweden has been Ms. Taylor Swift when it comes to finances. Ms. Taylor Swift gives 3 concerts in Solna ci...